10/06/2012

Van Gogh (after Vincent)

Mathieu Laca, Vincent Van Gogh II, oil on linen / huile sur toile, oak shadow box with carved onlay gilded with gold leaf / encadrement à gorge en chêne avec applique sculptée dorée à la feuille, 86cmX72cm, 2012



For this portrait of Van Gogh, I used in the highlights one of Vincent's favorite color (if not his favorite), the one he used to paint his famous sunflowers with: Chrome Yellow. It's a very beautiful lemon yellow, bright and powerful when mixed. I've put it in contrast with an orangey yellow ocher and vermilion, all of which are against a cobalt turquoise background.

I spent a lot of time painting his skull over and over again. In my portraits, the top of the head often represent the inner turmoil of the subject. In this case, the turmoil was so intense that it almost abstracted all of Vincent's forehead. But I was pleased with the result: a subtly irradiating head, as if Vincent's mind had just been embodied, right before he left to paint at his last location.

Detail of the frame:







Here's another portrait of Van Gogh I did a few months ago:



Mathieu Laca, Vincent Van Gogh I, huile sur lin/oil on linen, 77cmX62cm, 2011




Vincent Van Gogh, Tournesols dans un vase, 1888

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire